Wednesday, April 1, 2020

WIP Wednesday, Quarantine Edition 2

I can't believe it's Wednesday again!  I'd say time is flying by, but it isn't, especially given the fact that we now have a stay at home order in Maryland and can't really leave the house.  I have to run to the grocery store later, so that will be my big adventure for the day (yay!).  Rather than talk about my cross stitch project, I want to talk about the other large project I'm working on, my Disney World scrapbook.  This is quite a huge endeavor, it's about 150 pages spread across three albums.  I've been working on it for about a month now (probably closer to three and a half weeks if we want to be specific), and I've completed 36 pages, including one double page spread.  I have a preview below of all the pages I've done so far.  There's no talking or narration during the video.


As you can tell from the video, it's incredibly important for my album to be an explosion of color.  This was important to me because Disney as a place is an explosion of color.  Everywhere you look, there are exciting things to look at and excitement all over the place.  The only way I could properly convey that in an album was by making it as colorful as humanly possible.  Of course, some pages are a bit more subdued, but they're still colorful and gorgeous, and they give your eyes a break from all the color.

I want to take some time to talk about specific pages in my album that I'm particularly proud of and really embody what I want conveyed in my album in terms of theme and message.

I first want to talk about this incredibly pink Minnie Mouse page.  This page was so out of my comfort zone because I really don't like the color pink.  I use it in my scrapbooking and everything, but not to this extent, it's usually just sprinkled throughout a page.  With this page however, seeing Minnie's outfit and her little scene around her, it seemed like the logical thing to do.  I also don't do a lot of monochromatic pages like this.  There's no real reason behind that other than the fact that I can't figure out how to make them work and when to use them and when to not use them.  I may do one or two others in my album to make sure this page doesn't look out of place, but I'm not entirely sure which pages.  I have an idea or two in my head, we'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.  I do have to say, even though it's outside my comfort zone, doing a monochromatic page is a little easier than a regular page since you're only grabbing embellishments that are one color.  If you enjoy scrapbooking, I definitely encourage you to try out a monochromatic page at least once, what do you have to lose?

Another page I want to talk about is my Goofy page.  I love this page so much, I feel like it completely embodies everything I want in my album when it comes to explosion of color.  I wanted the striped paper on the bottom to be the entire background, but I only had a piece of it, so I had to improvise with the green on the top to finish off the page.  The purple was something I added after the fact to cover the seam and add a little bit more color.  I used a method from my favorite scrapbooker, Shimelle Laine, and that's a paper stack.  It's quite simple, you start stacking up papers behind the photo to create a wild, colorful background.  Usually you start with larger papers of varying sizes that you put behind the photo that's supposed to look like a haphazard stack of papers on your desk, then you add smaller papers as embellishment.  I, on the other hand, did it a little different.  While there are some larger papers, I mostly focused on smaller papers from my small scraps pile (I have two scrap piles, one full of smaller papers and one full of bigger papers).  This is the perfectly opportunity to get rid of some smaller scraps that are just sitting around.  Once done with building the paper stack, I added in all the embellishments, which, like the papers I picked, were meant to be all different colors.  The final product is one of my favorite pages that I've created so far with all the color and movement on the page.

While it might not look like it, this page really took me out of my comfort zone.  I don't do a lot of grid pages, but, once again, I was inspired by Shimelle Laine.  I had to modify her design a little, as she used squares that were over 3x3 inches, but I was using a 6x6 inch paper pad, so I couldn't make the squares bigger without using more paper.  I wanted to use this paper, as it's perfect for Toy Story, so I'm definitely going to use more of it in future Toy Story layouts.  I also used some less than conventional embellishments for this page, but I absolutely love how it came out.  First is the word "Howdy".  Those are actual Scrabble tiles I bought on Amazon for craft projects.  I haven't really used them for anything, but I've been meaning to.  I think they look great, and I want to include them on future Toy Story pages to draw them together.  I also used a bit of string, which I also bought for other craft projects.  Given the rope Woody's holding in the picture, I figured it would be the perfect addition to the embellishment group.  This is probably one of my favorite pages that I've made so far, everything just came together perfectly.

Finally, let's talk about a double page spread.  I very rarely do double pages, but I have a few planned out for this album.  I took a ton of pictures during the Festival of Fantasy parade, and I knew a double page was necessary, so I printed enough pictures from Amazon for a double page, but I never did anything with them.  Then I saw a video in Shimelle's Start with a Sketch class, and everything fell into place.  She used 3x4 inch photos across a double page in a grid layout, and I knew that's what I wanted to do.  It also gave me the opportunity to finally use my Instax printer (it's like an Instax polaroid camera but you print from your phone), which I've been dying to use for scrapbooking but haven't been able to figure out how.  Like I said, it all fell into place, and it was perfect.  My philosophy with this layout was "more is more".  It's a little hard to see, but I definitely went crazy with this layout.  Most photos have an embellishment with them, usually related to the Disney character in the photo  I also added little areas of embellishment scattered across both pages.  When it comes to actual embellishments, I used a little bit of everything: pearl hearts, enamel stars, rhinestones, puffy stickers, regular stickers, cut aparts, ephemera, washi tape.  Like I said, it was a little bit of everything.  I actually had to stop myself because I kept adding to the pages.  This isn't even the finished product; I added a bit more gold washi tape underneath the dragon (there's a little above the unicorn), to tie both pages together.  It was a lot, and I would add more if necessary, but I think it's good.  This is another one of my favorite layouts, I think everything came together perfectly.

My Disney album has been coming together wonderfully.  You may have noticed some blank spaces on cards on some pages.  That's where the journaling will go.  I have what I want to write planned out, I just haven't written them on the pages yet.  I may wait and do that all in the end.  We'll have to wait and see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment