Friday, February 14, 2020

We Finally Made It!

I can't believe it, we finally made it to Disney World.  Honestly, it's hard to believe, because we've been planning this for so long.  On our last vacation in July, we even spent time then getting ready for this trip.  After all that planning, stressing and obsessing, we're finally here in Disney World.  Okay, maybe we're not actually in Disney World, but we're at our hotel.  It's after 12:30 in the morning, and we should be asleep, but we're not.  We'll just have to pay the price tomorrow.

First things first, I'm super surprised at how quickly today, and this week in general went by.  I was fully expecting this to be one of the longest days of my life, but that definitely wasn't the case.  My wonderful coworker gave me a ride to work, then another equally wonderful coworker gave me a ride to Bryan's office.  We drove his car to his friends' house, where it'll stay while we're gone, and they offered to give us a ride to the airport so we wouldn't have to Uber.  At the airport, we learned that TSA actually does find things in your bag, because Bryan forgot to take a corkscrew out of his medicine bag (oops).  Ironically, it's not the corkscrew that they had a problem with, it's the little blade attached used to cut labels on wine bottles.  We told them to just throw it out, we have three more at home.

After going through security, we headed over to Firkin and Flyer, which is a wanna-be English pub type restaurant.  It looked decent enough, so we had some appetizers and drinks before heading to our flight.  I'll be honest, my biggest concern was that something would go wrong, and we wouldn't be able to leave when we planned to.  A lot of that came from the fact that it's February, and it was perfectly plausible to get a snow storm.  As we got closer and closer to today (well, yesterday), those fears dissipated, but I was still a little worried.  Thankfully, there weren't any problems, and our flight went without a hitch.  Okay, so there was a tiny, dumb problem.  I couldn't get the dumb app to work to watch the free movies they have available on my iPad, but they also had live TV available, so I watched that on my iPad instead.  In all my planning and preparing, I can't believe I forgot to download some movies and TV shows onto my iPad for our trip.  I'll have to remember to do that for our return flight next weekend.

At Orlando airport, we grabbed our bags and headed for the Magical Express, which is a free service for those staying on Disney property.  I was also a little worried that it would take us a while to get to our hotel, but we were the second stop.  It's also worth noting that the first stop was Art of Animation, which is right next door.

Even though we did the pre-check in on the app and could have just headed straight to our room, we still stopped by the front desk to opt out of housekeeping.  My doing so, we've gotten a $70 gift card, on top of another gift card our wonderful travel agent had sent to us (it was a discount she got for our trip that was reimbursed in the form of a gift card).  So we have a little bit of spending money ready and waiting for us for tomorrow (today).  As expected, the cast members are all super cheerful and helpful.  I was also surprised to see some people walking around and hanging out even though it was close to 11:30.  I was also surprised that I wasn't tired, especially given the fact that I'd been awake since 6 in the morning and am definitely more of a morning person than night person.

Since it's nighttime, I didn't really take any outdoor pictures of our hotel, but I'll try to get some tomorrow on our way to the bus.  Our room is in the 50s part of the resort.  Each set of buildings is modeled after a specific decade.  Our includes giant statues of Lady and the Tramp, along with a 50s themed pool and large decorations, all in the shape of bowling pins.  It's a lot of fun and is pretty close to the building where we get the bus and also kind of near the skyliner stop, which we'll use on Sunday for Hollywood Studios.  Our room is wonderful.  It has a queen bed and the table can be used to support a second queen bed, which is actually a murphy bed in the wall.  It's the perfect size for us, especially given the fact that we probably won't be in the room very often.

I'm purposefully trying to keep this brief for two reasons: one, I don't have a lot to say, and two, my posts for the next week are probably going to be fairly long.  Tomorrow we head off to Animal Kingdom, and we're getting up early since there are extra magic hours in the park.  Be sure to come back tomorrow to know if I survived riding Dinosaur.

0 comments:

Post a Comment