Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Prepping for Disney World By Binging Movies

I can't believe I'm almost done with my pre-trip Walt Disney Wednesday posts, I only have two more left (I may have misspoken last week and said there two more left then, and if so, I apologize).  This week's post is one I originally planned at putting towards the beginning of my Walt Disney Wednesdays, but I thought it was better suited for the end.  Let me start out by saying that I have absolutely no idea how I convinced Bryan to watch pretty much nothing by Disney movies with me for the past two months.  If I knew, I would tell you, but he has the patience of a saint and put up with it without too much complaining.  For those of you wondering just how many Disney movies we've watched to prepare for this trip, the answer is a whopping 43, and we still have one more left to watch tonight.  We also skipped over Lion King because we got to that movie right after my dad died, and I just couldn't watch it, although we saw the new one over the summer, so we're counting that.  Now, we didn't watch all of those in the past two months, we watched a few last year before we knew we were going on our trip and a few over the summer before Disney+ came out.  Once Disney+ came out, though, it was all over, and that's pretty much all we've watched since.  It'll be weird not watching that.

When we first started out, watching movies, we watched in any random order; he would pick one, then I'd pick one, and we went back and forth like that for a while until I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and commented how it was the first Disney movie.  From then on out, we pretty much went in chronological order, which I found fascinating because it showed the development and growth of Disney movies.  Not only did the animation and special effects improve, but Bryan and I both commented on how the role of the female characters changed as well.  In Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, you have a fourteen year old girl who runs through the woods screaming and then spends the rest of the time cleaning and taking care of the men.  By the time you get to Aladdin, however, you have a strong female character in Jasmine who knows what she wants and isn't afraid to take no for an answer.  Up until she met Aladdin, she even refused to get married because she didn't meet anyone she liked.  I wish we had started watching that way from the beginning, but that's fine.  I was going to list all the movies we watched, but, like I said, it's quite extensive.

Believe it or not, there were several Disney movies that we watched that I had never seen before, albeit not that many.  Bryan's list is significantly longer, and we can't even really remember which ones he had seen and hadn't seen.  As for me, there were only eight movies we watched that I had never seen before: Avatar, Robin Hood, Monster's University, Brother Bear, The Good Dinosaur, Ratatouille, Wreck-It Ralph and Ralph Breaks the Internet.  For the most part, I greatly enjoyed all the new ones I saw, although I didn't like The Good Dinosaur at all, I thought it was weird and just a bit too out there.  It was easy to see why it is the least popular Pixar movie.

Okay, time for me to talk about my top three movies that we watched.  Two of these really shouldn't be a surprise, but the third one is a new movie for me, and I was surprised at how much I loved it.

Beauty and the Beast has always been one of my favorite Disney movies.  I think it's because I could relate to Belle so much, especially given her bookish tendencies.  Let's also talk about that library the Beast gave her.  It has always been a dream of mine to have a library like that, although I also know the likelihood of me getting a library like that is pretty much nonexistent.  I also adore Belle's personality.  She knows what she wants, and she's not afraid to say it.  If anything, she's one of the earliest Disney princesses who really stands up for herself.  Ariel has a little bit of this, but she's also a flighty teenager who falls in love with someone she's never met.  Belle, on the other hand, isn't afraid to stand up to the Beast and brings out the best in him.  I know some people say she has Stockholm syndrome, but if she did, then she wouldn't have run away and wouldn't have stood up to the Beast and pointed out his faults to him.  She simply fell in love with him by bringing out his true personality.

This is another movie that shouldn't be much of a surprise at all either.  I love Stitch so much.  Yes, he's chaos and havoc all rolled into one, but just look at that little face!  He's positively adorable, and I can't get enough of his face.  Don't even get me started on Lilo.  Her tirade about Pudge the fish is one of my favorite Disney movies because on its surface it appears to make absolutely no sense, but once you learn that Lilo's parents died in a car crash during a storm, suddenly you understand why it's important for her to keep Pudge the fish happy so he'll make the weather nice.  Nani is also a wonderful character.  She might look like she's losing control of the situation with Lilo, but you have to take into consideration her age and the trauma both of them have been through.  Nani's about nineteen years old, and she's trying to take care of her five year old sister who has a wonderful spirit, so she's trying to keep her in line while simultaneously encouraging her keep up that wonderful spirit.  The underlying message of "ohana", or family is amazing too.  It truly shows that family doesn't have to be related by blood.

Like I said before, I had never seen Avatar before.  Personally, I thought it was overrated, and I hated that they kept releasing it in theatres with a few extra seconds of footage and then claiming it's the highest grossing movie ever (for the record, when inflation is taken into account, it doesn't even break the top ten).  I also hate that I love this movie because I feel like I'm jumping on the bandwagon here, but since I'm over ten years later, I feel like it's not that bad.  First of all, I thought this movie was absolutely gorgeous.  The scenery was stunning, and I can't wait to stand in Pandora in Animal Kingdom and get as close to being in the movie.  I also love Jake's fighting spirit.  It doesn't take long for him to have an appreciation for the Na'vi people and the nature.  He showed tremendous growth as a character and learned to live with nature, not fight against it.

As can be expected, I also asked Bryan for his top three favorite movies that we watched and why he liked them.  Unfortunately, he just couldn't decide, which honestly surprises me.  I thought that he just went through the motions of watching the movies to appease me, but it would seem that he actually enjoyed watching many more of them than I originally thought.  Glad to know I'm getting my boyfriend into enjoying Disney movies.  There's hope for him yet!

Of course, we didn't like all the movies we watched.  We agreed on some of most of our bottom three movies, but there were some we disagreed on as well. 

Neither of us liked The Three Caballeros.  Both of us found it incredibly weird.  For those of you wondering if it's even a Disney movie, yes, yes it is.  And if you're wondering why in the world we watched it, it's because the characters, Donald Duck, Panchito and Jose lead guests through the ride at the Mexico Pavilion in Epcot.  The movie focuses on Donald, who receives gifts from his friends, Panchito and Jose, and with the help of those gifts, he learns about the beauty of Latin America.  Disney created this movie as propaganda of sorts to teach its viewers about how wonderful Latin America is to boost its image during World War II and get people on board with allying ourselves with Latin American countries.  Bryan and I both found this movie incredibly strange.  It was a blend of animation and live action, not that that is a downside, if done properly.  Bryan was particularly not fond of the ending, which was simply Donald chasing a bunch of women in bikinis around the beach.  Yes, that's a great thing for children to see.  We both thought so highly of the movie that I fell asleep, and he almost fell asleep.

Neither of us were particularly fond of Pinocchio either.  Personally, I thought it was a movie that didn't know what it wanted to be.  You have a puppet who becomes a real boy, and the next day, the dad immediately sends him off to school without showing him around the village or spending time to teach him the ins and outs of existing in the first place.  Bryan's complaint with Pinocchio stemmed from the third act, which he said was "literally hand waved  with a note saying his dad had been eaten by a monster unseen or talked about before this very moment."  It was as if they didn't know how to wrap up the movie within the time or budget allotted, so they threw in the giant whale to bring it all to a close.  Had they at least mentioned the whale earlier, it might not have been so bad.  For me, however, it really stemmed from the fact that the movie was all over the place.  You had Pinocchio coming alive, then working in a sideshow, then turning into a donkey, then getting swallowed alive by a whale.  It's a mess.

Even though we didn't have to watch The Good Dinosaur to prepare for our trip, Bryan absolutely loves dinosaurs, so we watched it.  Like I said earlier, it's easy to see why this is the least successful Pixar movie.  It focuses on the concept of what it would have been like if dinosaurs hadn't gone extinct and instead become intelligent creatures, while humans are more similar to animals in terms of habits and intelligence.  I know, it's super weird.  It tried really hard to teach lessons of being yourself, bravery and friendship, and I can see small children quite enjoying it.  As adults, however, we thought it was just strange and a little bit too out there, even for a Disney movie.  Despite my complaints, I did think Spot was rather adorable, and I wished there was more of him.  Arlo the dinosaur, on the other hand, I found whiny and annoying.

Bryan's final least favorite movie we watched was Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and I can see where he's coming from, but I just love the dwarfs so much.  While he does admit that it's a classic, he didn't really care for the overall plot (it is Disney's first movie, so they were just getting started on telling stories, and it makes a lot more sense than Pinocchio in my opinion).  He also complained about "the rampant sexism", which I also understand.  I'm not making excuses, but the movie did come out in the 1940s when you didn't have nearly as many strong female characters as you do today.  I know I talked about this already, so I'm not going to go into more detail.  Personally, I didn't find the movie awful, although it did bother me that the dwarfs spent all the time looking after Snow White and killed the Evil Queen to save her, and the Prince shows up, and she immediately runs off with him as soon as she wakes up.  It's like she didn't even care about what the dwarfs did for her.

Well, that's it for now.  There are only two more Walt Disney Wednesdays until we leave on our trip.  Next Wednesday will be our single digits day, and I'll talk about what I'm looking forward to the most in all the parks as a whole, so be sure to check that out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment