Thursday, December 19, 2019

The Masked Singer Season 2 Finale Recap

The Masked Singer is one of my favorite shows, which is ironic because when I first heard about the premise, I thought it sounded dumb and like a show that wouldn't last for very long.  After mulling it over and seeing a few more previews, I thought it sounded interesting.  Now, it's one of my favorite shows, and my mom and I watch it together.  This is the type of show that really is better to watch with someone so you can talk about it and bounce ideas off each other.  I wish more people around me watched it so I could talk to them about it as well.


For those of you unfamiliar with the premise, celebrities from all walks of life done over the top, ridiculous costumes and perform before a panel of judges.  Nobody has any idea who they are.  Before performing, they have a little video/clue package that gives hints as to their identity.  The judges guess as to who each costumed performer is, and then the audience votes for their favorite performer.  The performer with the lowest amount of votes is un-masked, revealing his or her identity.  Those who are not voted off stay for another day until everyone is un-masked at the end of the season.  It's pretty much a giant guessing game that is sure to leave you talking and debating with friends and family, which is why you should watch with someone else.

If you do watch The Masked Singer and haven´t had a chance to watch last night´s finale, you might want to stop reading now, as I´m going to reveal who the last three singers were.

First of all, I´m super proud of myself, as I correctly guessed all three performers before the finale started.  I don´t want to brag, but I kind of do, and I´m really proud of myself.

The first contestant un-masked last night was the Flamingo.  Of course, the Flamingo has a special place in my family´s heart because my dad has this weird obsession with flamingos.  For a long time, I wasn't entirely sure who the Flamingo was, but once Jenny McCarthy guessed Adrienne Bailon, I realized that that guess made a lot of sense.  There were some references to cheetah print in the clue package, and Adrienne Bailon was in the Cheetah Girls movies on Disney Channel (ironically with Raven Symone, who was voted off a few weeks ago).  I thought Adrienne was a fantastic singer.  She talked a lot about how she doubted herself as a performer, but her performances of ¨Lady Marmalade¨ and ¨Hallelujah¨ were absolutely breathtaking.  She should never doubt herself as a singer again.

After the Flamingo was un-masked, my mom and I had no idea who would win.  Both the remaining performers the Rottweiler and the Fox, blew it out of the water with their performances, and either one could be seen as a viable winner.

Just like the Flamingo, for the longest time I had no idea who the Rottweiler was.  I couldn't place the voice, and that really frustrated me.  Online, however, I saw someone guess Chris Daughtry, and suddenly it made sense.  I´ll be honest, I´m not super familiar with Christ Daughtry's voice, as I´m not a huge American Idol fan, but I knew his name and was somewhat familiar with his voice.  Once I heard that guess, however, I knew it had to be him.  I think Chris´ name came up once or twice when the judges guessed, but it was only in passing, and his name didn´t come up too often.  Robin Thicke and Nicole Scherzinger guessed Darren Criss, but I knew it absolutely couldn´t be him; his voice is much smoother, and there weren't any Harry Potter/A Very Potter Musical or Glee hints in the clue package, which is where he really got his start in the professional performing world.

Unlike the Flamingo and Rottweiler, I knew pretty much from day one who the Fox was, and I hardly ever waivered (and it wasn't until the finale last night, but once I explain, you'll see that it was an understandable mistake).  It was a voice I knew so well: Wayne Brady.  I'm a huge Whose Line Is It Anyway? fan, so I recognized his voice pretty much right away.  Some of the judges said Jamie Fox, but it seemed a little bit on the nose to have Jamie Fox dress up like the fox.  I just couldn't understand how other people couldn't hear that it was Wayne Brady, and when he danced, it was abundantly obvious, he's an amazing dancer!

The only time I doubted that the Fox was Wayne Brady was a clue last night.  They showed "tweets" from each of the remaining contestants, and the Fox's talked about having already survived one duel on stage, followed by the hashtag "#scrappyandhungry", which is a line from Hamilton.  I lost it!  Leslie Odom Jr., who was the original Aaron Burr on Broadway, was a name that has come up once or twice, and his voice can be similar to Wayne Brady's.  After I calmed down and screwed my head on straight, however, I remembered that Wayne Brady played Aaron Burr in the Chicago production of Hamilton, meaning the tweet still makes sense.  At that point, I knew without a shadow of a doubt that the Fox was Wayne Brady.

Overall, I'm super proud of myself for correctly guessing the three finalists, even though my mom said it doesn't count because I got some of the ideas from other people.  I'm really excited that season three starts in just a few weeks, although I'll miss a week because of Disney.  Oh well, sacrifices must be made for the sake of Disney.  I'll just have to watch a week late and still love the show.

0 comments:

Post a Comment