Thursday, March 12, 2020

My Thoughts on "Daisy Jones and the Six" and Discussion Questions

What's this?  Two blog posts in two days and I finished a book for the first time in about a month?  I know, this is complete madness, but, like I said yesterday, I'm really trying to get back on track with things.

Daisy Jones and the Six was voted best historical fiction novel of 2019 on Goodreads, but it never really called out to me.  I thought the plot sounded somewhat interesting, but not enough to actually get me to read the book.  Then I read The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, which is by the same author, and I completely fell in love with the book.  I knew I had to read Daisy Jones, even if it takes place way before my time and deals with music that isn't really my style.

The book tells the story of the fictional band, Daisy Jones and the Six, and its rise to fame.  Then, at the peak of their stardom, they broke up, right in the middle of a world tour.  That was it, the band never performed together again.  Similar to Evelyn Hugo, this is the band's first time baring their souls and telling the rest of the world what happened between them.

What makes this book unique is its format.  It's written as an oral history.  That's right, the entire book is written as one big, long interview.  At first, that was a little off-putting to me; I get enough of reading stuff like that for grad school.  Once I started reading, however, I couldn't imagine the book written any other way.  The way Reid wrote the book, it felt organic, like you actually listening to an interview on VH1 or MTV.  I imagine that the book could have been written in a more traditional format, but it would have lost a little of its authenticity.  One thing I really enjoyed about the book were the inconsistencies that came with oral history and recounting events forty or so years after the fact.  At one point, one member of the band said, "We finished recording our album in May", then another said, "We finished our album in November."  That shows you the problems with memory and the fact that everyone remembers things a little bit differently.  There weren't a ton of inconsistencies like that in the book, but there were enough that you definitely noticed.

As much as I loved this book, there was something that bothered me immensely.  It's going to sound petty and weird, but just bear with me.  So this book is about a band, and Reid even goes so far as to include lyrics from their top selling album, Aurora, in the back of the book.  What I wanted was to be able to hear the songs performed.  It's one thing to read the lyrics (they're pretty much poems), but it's another thing to experience the songs with the instrumentals, the various voices, etc.  I wish they got together a band that had the same sound as Daisy Jones and the Six to record all the songs as an album.  I know the book is being made into a tv mini series, so maybe then we'll get a taste of what the music sounds like.

That's pretty much all I can talk about without giving away too many spoilers.  So, as always, if you haven't read the book or want to avoid spoilers, this is probably where you should stop reading.  If you're using this book for a book club and need discussion questions, those can be found at the very bottom of this post, but they might contain spoilers too.

There isn't a whole lot I want to talk about in relation to spoilers, just my thoughts on the end, and a little bit about Daisy's relationship with Billy.

First of all, at first I thought the ending was extremely abrupt; it just stopped without warning pretty much.  When I stepped back and thought about it, however, that's how the band ended.  They were in the middle of their tour, and they just stopped after one performance, that was it.  They had just released a record breaking album, they were in the middle of a world tour, and everything fell apart in the blink of an eye.  It was supposed to feel sudden because it was.  I imagine their fans were confused as to what happened, and so to help convey that in the book, Reid ended things pretty abruptly as well.  She did a great job of leaving the reader wanting more, just like the fans probably did as well.

What did bother me more than the abrupt ending was Daisy and Billy's relationship.  It felt very awkward, and I couldn't really get a good sense of it.  It was like, sometimes they hated each other and wouldn't even talk to each other, other times they were head over heels in love in this star-crossed type of way.  It was weird, and, honestly, it gave me whiplash.  It also left me feeling conflicted, because Billy obviously loved Camilla and his daughters more than anything, so I couldn't figure out what drew him to Daisy.  She really was like a lightning rod for him, and no matter how much he tried to stay away, he just couldn't.  I could never figure out why, although I feel like it had something to do with the fact that she reminded him of himself, and he wanted to fix her.  I don't know, I'm just speculating here.

Minus those tiny little issues, I really did enjoy this book.  I thought the format was unique and worked extremely well given the content.  I also thought that Taylor Jenkins Reid once again showed that she's a force to be reckoned with when it comes to writing strong women in history.  I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.  Whatever it is, you can rest assured that I'll buy it and blog about it after I read it.

I didn't say this before, but this is actually a book one of my book clubs picked.  Unfortunately, I have plans the day of that meeting, so I can't go.  Oh well, such is life.  This was still a book I wanted to read, so I started it a little early, but it took me a while to read.  I did create a list of book club questions, so if you're using this book for your book club, feel free to use some of my questions below.


  1. How did Daisy's childhood allow her to become famous?
  2. What impact did Camilla have on the band?
  3. Why was this band able to make it big when so many others failed?
  4. How did the inconsistencies throughout the band's memory add to the story?
  5. Why did Billy struggle the most with drugs and the rock and roll lifestyle?
  6. Daisy said she had no idea what it meant to truly suffer (page 80).  Is that true?
  7. Daisy refers to herself as "the cool new jeans" while Billy is "the pair you've had for years" (page 88).  Is this an accurate description of them when they first started working together?
  8. In what ways was the band more about Billy than Daisy?
  9. What were the major turning points in the band's history that put them on the road to success?
  10. How did miscommunication and misunderstandings lead to problems in the band?
  11. How did Daisy change the dynamic of the band?
  12. How did Billy and Daisy bring out the best and the worst in each other?
  13. Why do you think Karen didn't want the band to know about her and Graham?
  14. Did the drug use have a positive or negative effect on Daisy's song writing and singing?
  15. At what point did Daisy lose control of her life?
  16. Did Daisy care that her life was spiraling out of control?
  17. How did the fact that Billy and Daisy were "the Chosen Ones" cause stress among members of the band?
  18. Daisy said about her marriage to Niccolo, "I regret that marriage, but I do not regret that dress" (236).  How does this sum up her personality?
  19. Did Eddie take things too personally?
  20. Did the size of the band contribute to its problems?
  21. Did Karen make the right choice having an abortion?
  22. Was Daisy jealous of Camilla?  If so, why?
  23. Was the band's break up caused by one event or a perfect storm of smaller events?
  24. Did Daisy leave the band for herself or for Billy?
  25. Were you surprised that Eddie stayed in the band as long as he did?
  26. Why did Julia decide to write the story of the band?
  27. Would this book work if written in a more traditional format?
  28. This book is going to be made into a television mini series.  Do you think it will translate well into that format?
  29. What drew Billy to Daisy in the first place?
  30. What would their relationship have been like had Billy and Daisy gotten together?

0 comments:

Post a Comment